The Prudential Building was first to be named the Taylor Building after Hascal L. Taylor (1830-1894), the Buffalonian who commissioned the Chicago architectural firm of Dankmar Adler (1844-1900) and Louis Sullivan (1856-1924) to build what he wanted to be “the largest and best office building in the city.” Unfortunately, he died in November of 1894 just before construction plans were to be publicly announced.
The Guaranty Construction Company of Chicago, which was to construct the building for Taylor, bought the property and completed the project. Construction began in March 1895 and the Guaranty Building was ready for occupancy on March 1, 1896. It was renamed the Prudential Building about two years after it was completed at the time of refinancing through the Prudential Insurance Company.
Adler and Sullivan had developed a splendid reputation for expertise in the planning and design of steel-framed buildings. In St. Louis they designed the prototype “tall office building,” the Wainwright Building(1890-1892), and in Chicago the Schiller Theater and Office Building (1892) and the Stock Exchange Building (1893-1894) with Sullivan being largely responsible for the designs. The Guaranty Building was the last work Adler and Sullivan did together.
Read more at Buffalo Architectural History